Thursday, May 19, 2011

Christian Women Lifestyle, CEO Deanetta Thompson


Welcome Deanetta,

Deanetta tell us about yourself?

I am married with three children. My eldest daughter is now serving in the Armed Forces, preparing to deploy next month for Afghanistan. I am retired military of 20 years, and the CEO of Christian Women Lifestyle xPress.

Tell us about the magazine and how did you get started?

I started off by publishing two eBooks. Both eBooks can be downloaded for Kindle, which is the older version, and the revised version can be downloaded from my website: “Sistas Do You Know What To Look For When Choosing Your Man?” and “Marital Warfare.” I love to write, but I felt something was missing. After graduating with my Master of Science Degree in Management, I realized I would not be happy until I followed at least one of my dreams. Being part of a magazine that caters to women in the Christian environment for inspiration, motivation, and hopefully an article posted could reach a lost soul which makes it more challenging. I also wanted to publish something delightful to read, not something that would put you to sleep.

How did you come up with its name?

My daughter and I went over a few names, and she came up with Christian Women Lifestyle, an I added the xPress. C.W.L. motto is “just one click away.”

What challenges have you faced and how did you overcome those challenges?

Funding for online publication and listening to people ridicule me because I have had so many blogs to include numerous websites to include a ning social network and I did not accomplish what should have been accomplished such as my name being recognized for my genre. What I am about to say is going to probably sting a few people like a bee, but my worst critics were church folks. You know-- the bible toting, I-can-quote-a-Scripture-at-the-drop of-a-hat type. If I would ask people to support me, read my articles, and leave a comment, I would have to do something for them as well. My immediate family (husband and children) encouraged me. This also includes my siblings and one of my nieces. I have a few close friends who adore my genre, but not enough to cover all ten fingers. What got me through? My faith in God. I know this is my calling. This is why I love the entire book of Hebrews. It is my hall of Faith.

Another challenge is being able to keep my readers' attention. In this generation of readers, I have learned that if you are not gossiping with your readers, it is hard to keep their attention. Readers want to hear juicy news.

What advise will you give to others wanting to create an online magazine?

Don’t be so quick to jump into a deal without weighing the options. Learn about the business, and only listen to those who have your best interest at heart. Pray and ask God to place people in your path that can guide and direct you in the right direction. Whatever you do, and I mean this from the heart, do not tell everyone you meet all your ideas. People will take your work or thoughts, and use it, then brand their name on it! If you know your project is going to be a success, when time and funding permit, trademark and copyright your craft. Do not be so quick to spend all your hard-earned dollars on learning marketing schemes for your products. Don’t get me wrong. I have bought a few marketing products from only two people I follow, and the price was not outrageous. I pick and choose what knowledge I want to buy. Know who you are using to design your site. For example, a sight can look very pretty or eye appealing on the outside; however, how easy is it to operate once you go into the dashboard if you control your own site? If you need someone to operate your site for you, look around, google the company you are targeting, ask questions, scout for prices and deals, but just remember, you pay for what you get. Stay within your budget. If you are going digital, learn about the program you are using, especially the pros and cons of being in control of uploading and maintaining your own content.

How long was the process before the magazine went live?

About three months. And yes I made a few costly mistakes along the way. I will save that for my next eBook.

Where do you see the magazine going in the next few years.?

I would like to be able to go digital so my readers can download on iPad, iPhone, and other gadgets that readers use for their entertainment. I would also like to provide my readers with articles that feed the soul and put a smile on their faces. However, by doing this, I do not want to take away from acknowledging God’s presence.

What's next for Deanetta?

To excel in my craft.

How can people connect with you?

They can go to the magazine website and also read my biography. There is so much more to me then what is written in this interview http://www.cwlxpress.com. I would like to tell your readers that if they have a testimony or story to share, please contact me. All the information is on my site. I have also included my phone number.

How do you connect with readers?

Paulette, I am so glad you ask this question. I love to get personal with my readers. This is why I chose the template I used to display my magazine--so my readers can respond back with their views, whether positive or negative. I like to learn about my readers. This allows me to provide them with the best articles I can.

Paulette, I would like to say thank you for this opportunity to introduce CWL xPress to your readers. I pray your journey using God’s gift he has laid upon you remains successful and blessed. I would like to leave you and your readers with this scripture: Ephesians 4:11-12. May God bless and continue to be with you all.















Felecia S. Killings,
E
diting and Writing Coach Services
http://pflpublishing.blogspot.com

No comments: