Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Is What I Have To Say Worth Putting In A Book?

I Want To Write A Book


I have heard that statement so many times. When I started writing my first book in 2007, it took me all of three months to complete. To some, that might be a very short time. But believe me, I know authors who have written a book in six weeks! Regardless of where you are, you can get your thoughts on paper, and share those thoughts with the world. The main thing is to get started. Don’t procrastinate; that’s a bad word in this industry. And I want to share with you a few steps to getting your book/books published.  

Before I do that, let me introduce myself. I’m Paulette Harper-Johnson: writer, speaker, life coach, and author. Since 2007, I’ve gone on and written four books--two of which are anthologies and two Christian-inspirational books which became best-sellers and award winners. My most recent book was just released, Completely Whole, a self-published text. I am also working on my first Christian-fiction book. I believe I know a little about writing, so with that said, I will share some of what I’ve learned over my few years as a writer. 

The first thing you must decide is what it is you want to write about. In other words, you must choose your topic. What are you an expert in?  Here are a few things to get you thinking:

     Do I want to write about my life’s experiences?   What about my job or my profession?
     Travel?  Things I’ve gone through?  What about something  that interest me?

Believe it or not, there is something you have to say. But it is worth putting in a book?
If you say, yes... read on

It’s just a matter of deciding what it is. When you first start out, it doesn’t have to be perfect…just start journaling. As you do the research on the topic, you will become an expert in that field. Expert? Yes, expert. Don’t let that word intimidate you. An expert mainly means one who is skillful, one who has practiced, or one who is a professional in a given field or subject. 

I believe we all are experts when it comes to life’s experiences. Once you have completed your manuscript, you are ready to get it edited. I would highly recommend you hire a professional editor, and in some cases, several editors. Please don’t let momma, sister, or brother do your edits. I would even recommend that you refrain from editing your own material. I know that might sound funny, but believe me, I have seen unedited books, and it does not speak well of the author. Your book is a reflection of you. Remember that! Your readers will notice how poorly your books are edited more than the story or advice you write about.



 Next post... Types of Editors





No comments: